Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dig your roots a little deeper

The phrase - Bloom where you are planted - is often used by military spouses as we're often plopped in a new place left to our own devices to make friends, fin new gyms, grocery stores, daycare and activites, or at the very least get around without getting lost!  Usually just about when we've established ourselves and made a great circle of friends it's time to move again.

Well, today I'm going to dig my roots a little deeper.  What do I mean?  For the past 6 months we've been waiting/hoping for news that we would possibly be PCSing with a new opportunity for my husband.  Last week we got the news that we would not be moving, therefore staying right at Fort Drum for another 2 years.  This is always a possiblity and I knew that but I was really ready for a new adventure.  Fort Drum has been great to us and it's honestly not as bad as people say....but I felt two years was plenty. :)  Maybe it was the appeal of moving south with longer summers and shorter winters.  Maybe the thought of being a little closer to home and family, or maybe the idea of 2-3 years guaranteed with no deployments!  But, here we are for another two years and the realities are setting in.  Winter was good to us this past season so I don't hold my hopes high for the next.  We have the next deployment beginning in a year looming over us, and with two years in our current house I am at that point where I can tell you 20,189,387,156 things that I would like to change. 

So what's a girl to do?  I desperately want to be replanted! 

But I have a choice and I choose to dig my roots a little deeper.  On the bright side...we have a whole year to enjoy as a family before facing another deployment. (With months missing here and there for training but who's counting!)  Summer is just around the corner and there is SOOOO much to love about the North Country in the Summer!  We have a beautiful and safe home that fulfills our needs and I have a husband who likes projects so let the lists begin.  With baby #2 on the way, we know that those precious first years of both our kids will be in one place.  And, we have 2 more years before we have to worry about renting or selling our house.  There is a lot to celebrate afterall!

I am sure we all have had a time in our lives where we couldn't change our circumstance, as much as we wanted to, and had to deal with our current situation just a little while longer.  Dig your roots a little deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment