Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rainy Day Recipe experiments Part 1

Although it is the last week of April, Mother Nature is throwing December weather at us.  We are so on the verge of Summer that I was quite depressed looking at the forecast so I decided to try some new recipes this week, mostly Pinterest inspired.

The first recipe I tried this week was for No Bake Energy Bites.  I found the recipe through Pinterest and the blog www.jugglingwithkids.com.)  We've exhausted every granola bar/chip/trail mix we can find for lunch in our house and desperate needed something new.  They were both delicious and REALLY easy to make.  Basically mix all of the ingredients together, chill, form into balls, and enjoy!  Here is the recipe which you can also find by following the link above:

No Bake Energy Bites
Ingredients:
1 cup Oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes (I omitted this one)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl
Mix the ingredients thoroughly and let it chill in the refridgerate for half an hour.
Once the mix is chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!

I tried one and they were so tasty I quickly!  I would advise against this temptation because they are SUPER filling and I was almost too full for dinner.

This next recipe is not Pinterest inspired but the result of this pregnant lady watching food commercials.  Who likes ranch, raise your hand?  I LOVE ranch and love an excuse to use it as more than a dipping sauce.  Ranch burgers, ranch mac-n-cheese, and the latest...ranch bread with pasta!  SOOO simple, I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.  The recipe is straight from www.hiddenvalley.com

Ranch Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of softened butter
1 packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
2 loaves French or Italian Bread, cut in half lengthwise

Directions:
Spread the butter and then sprinkle the dressing mix evenly on the bread halves.  Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until golden and the butter begins to seep and bubble.  Serve Hot.

YUM!  Apparently I missed the "two loaves of bread" part of the instructions.  No, I don't always read recipes through first.  The bread was a hit with the family, although hubby and I both commented that perhaps the whole packet of Ranch was too much.  Well, now I know why...I needed TWO loaves. 

I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I did!

More to come later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment